My Granny is a southern belle who loves feeding her family! Even at 79 years young she cooks Thanksgiving dinner every year and everybody adores her stuffing (or ‘dressing’)! There’s one secret ingredient that really gives it that savory flavor and is sure to be a hit if you make it at your Thanksgiving dinner!
- 1 bundle of green onions
- 1 Stick of butter
- 4 cups of Chicken Broth
- 1 box of Instant cornbread
- 1 pack Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage
- 2 packs Pepperidge Farm herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- Turkey gravy
- Melt 1 tsp butter into a skillet, add chopped green onions and cook on (med-hi) until fragrant and soft.
- Add the sage sausage to the pan and cook until browned
- Using a 9 inch pan, bake the instant cornbread following instructions on the box and let it cool
- Using a large pot, bring chicken broth and remaining butter to a boil and add in the bags of stuffing mix (do not add onion or celery, per bag instructions!)
- Crumble the cooled cornbread into the large pot and stir it in with the stuffing
- Remove stuffing mixture from heat and add in the sausage/onion mix and both cans of cream soup. Mix it all together and spoon it into a large greased glass pan.
- Brush a thin layer of gravy on top and bake until heated and ready to serve!
What I think makes my Granny’s stuffing so different is how flavorful it is, (herbs/ sage sausage and onions) and how moist it is (adding the cream of chicken & cream of mushroom soup). The texture is also great! It’s solid enough to cut into squares like a casserole, but isn’t lumpy or crumbly.
For more recipes and holiday tips, follow me on Pinterest.